1908

The first area of land was purchased to build Stanley Bay School. The land consisted of an acre on Russell Street and was bought for 379 pounds.

1909

One year later the school was built at a cost of 754 pounds. A team of builders erected two classrooms and a porch. When the school was first established it was an extension of Devonport Primary School. Miss M Barr, a teacher from Devonport was appointed Head Teacher.

1916

A further two classrooms and a staff room were added. It was at that time that the school was divided into year level from Year 1 to Year 8.

1960

The school purchased three sections of land and two houses were removed. They turned the sections into the playing field.

1970

During this decade swimming lessons were held at Stanley Bay Beach. It was during this time that intermediate schools were established and Stanley Bay no longer had Year 7 and 8 students.

1980

More neighbouring sections were purchased and five houses removed to create a larger playground. Later this decade the pool was installed.

1996

Two new classrooms were added (Room 10 and 11).

Interesting historical facts

The positions of the four gates into the school have never been changed.
The original school motto was ‘He who does well does his best’, this has been changed over time to make it gender neutral to what it is today - ‘Those who do their best do well’

1947 Standard 2 and 3

1951 Standard 2

1945 Infants

1938 School Assembly

1946 Ralph, Kapa Haka

1912 Alexander MacGregor, Foundation Principal

1946 Fundraising